Trust me, you’ll happily forgo caramel popcorn made with corn syrup, how it’s normally made nowadays, for this far superior version from times past. It’s super easy and will not disappoint! And for the carnivores among us, ty it with the bacon addition. It’s a harmonizing marriage of salty and sweet, chewy and crisp that some of us crave.
2c Brown Sugar
1/2c Heavy Cream
1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Bacon, sliced and fried*
1. Spread 1 cup popped kernels (aka. popcorn) evenly across a cookie sheets or baking dishes pre-coated with butter or coconut oil.
1a. Optional here if using (see below)*
2. Excluding vanilla, stir remaining ingredients in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat until melted.
3. Increase heat to medium high, stirring constantly.
4. Once mixture boils, continue to boil one minute, stirring continuously.
5. Transfer sauce into a blender, add vanilla, and then on setting one, stir 10 seconds or so until incorporated.
6. Drizzle over popcorn, gently stir until evenly coated.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 250° for 10 minutes, stir, and bake another 10-15 minutes.
8. Remove Caramel Corn from the oven, cool, and ENJOY.
9. Leftovers are best stored in an airtight tin or stainless steel container to maintain freshness.
*Fried Bacon Option:
Place fried, sliced bacon pieces on a paper towel to cool, allowing excess oil to drain off. Sprinkle bacon pieces on top of popcorn prior to caramel drizzle in step #6.
Bake according to instructions.
Tip: Place 1/8 cup kernels into a paper lunch bag, fold over twice, tightly at the top to seal. Microwave on high until pops slow to every few seconds. Empty popcorn and toss out any remaining kernels. There should be few to none.