4 Chicken skinless breasts, boneless****
4-tsp Salt, kosher or sea
1-tsp Black pepper
1/4-cup Lime juice, fresh
1-tbs White Wine vinegar
4 Scallions, sliced
2 Celery, diced
2 Granny Smith apples, diced
2-tbs Fresh Mint, sliced thinly
1/2 cup Fresh Basil, sliced thinly
*1/3-Roasted Peanuts, chopped
**Light brown sugar if added to step 5.
***Simple syrup, agave or brown rice syrup if added at step 7
****In a pinch, canned chicken will work. Omit steps 1-4 and 6.
1) Dry chicken with paper towels and pound into 1/4-1/2in fillets.
2) Cover chicken with water by 1/2 inch in a large saucepan with 3-tsp salt and 1/2-tsp pepper. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes until cooked throughly.
3) While chicken cooks, prepare a bowl of ice water large enough to transfer the chicken once it's cooked.
4) Place cooked chicken into ice water for 5 minutes.
5) Combine lime juice, vinegar and whisk until incorporated (if using *brown sugar, whisk until dissolved). Add apples, celery and scallions and then toss.
6) Remove chicken from ice bath and pat dry, dice or shred.
7) Combine chicken and apple mixture and *peanuts if using. Toss herbs and remaining salt, pepper and ***sugar syrup if using to taste.
Serve as a filler for sandwiches, with butter lettuce leaves or as a cracker/veggie dip.